Yikes, gone a week without posting but not without gardening. A brief summary of what transpired in the garden in the past several days:
- Various succulents cuttings including the Lemon Coral sedum planted in the rosemary bed
- Added dahlberg daisies to the petunia planter
- Cuban Gold duranta planted in front yard shade bed
- Transplanted Victoria Blue salvias to the ends of the front yard flower bed
- Hard pruned the Hot Lips Salvias in the front yard bed down to 1/3 height
- Installed Magic Carpet spirea in front yard bed
- Removed catmint from herb bed, replanted in 3″ pots
- Transplanted golden sage, tricolor sage and dwarf mini curry plant into the herb bed
- Removed yarrow from lily bed, installed red lantana in its place
- Installed Tasmanian Tiger euphorbia and Nuevo Leon salvia in blue bed
- Sowed Summer Jewel Red salvia and Cosmic Red cosmos in the tree ring
- Transplanted rooted cuttings of variegated lemon thyme in the tree ring
- Returned coleus and snapdragon seedlings to the greenhouse
- Moved some seedlings and cuttings outdoors, including the zinnia starts (which aren’t doing very well)
- Purchased another Magic Carpet spirea from Grow It nursery
Did I mention something ate my onion chives and decapitated my Genovese basil? Pictures forthcoming!
On Monday, I got around to sowing some seeds in Jiffy 7 pellets. It was just my luck that I started with the super-tiny seeds while I had a cold from the morning jog. It took all my resolve not to sneeze while I was planting these near-microscopic seeds: Angelonia Serena Blue, Snapdragon Bronze Dragon, Snapdragon Montego Sunset, Wizard Mix Coleus and last year’s Origami Red & White Columbine.
Some time last week, I also took some cuttings of the Chocolate Chip ajuga which have been merrily putting out new growth in their temporary pots; as well as cuttings of lime thyme and variegated lemon thyme. The original parent lime thyme was especially vigorous and overflowing in its cinderblock space. Amazing fragrance this little herb has. I was using it to give the pups a lime thyme herb brushing.
This morning I planted 3 leek roots (from this weekend’s Spring Soup recipe that called for spinach, asparagus, and leeks) in the herb garden. Even while it was sitting in the fridge all weekend long, new roots began to appear. From what I read, leeks are vigorous perennials, so I am looking forward to watching them grow.
No pictures today; the red and white pansies are blooming, as well as the purple loropetalum and the various dianthus in the lily and blue beds. The Valentine dianthuses are especially pretty now that they’ve had a full year to grow into their new spots. The remaining three Valentines sitting in the blue bed will have to be moved, perhaps in the front yard bed to complement the coreopsis. I do need to find out if I can divide those winter coreopsis.
Flax and marigold seeds to be popping up here and there (blue bed and tree ring). I have yet to see if the viola I sowed last month are coming up–so far no evidence of them doing so. I’ve got three Sorbet viola seed packets that I’m still deciding on–most likely I will attempt to sow them indoors. The sweet alyssum Pastel Carpet will be sown outdoors–another attempt at trying this–while it’s still cool which will hopefully give them a better start.
Still have zinnias, gomphrenas, and eggplant to plant. I will wait on planting them mid-March since they are typically warm weather plants. However I should get around to planting the Chinese broccoli and baby bok choy as soon as our new veggie bed is laid out. Problem is: when? Two tree stumps are undermining our efforts to prep a new bed.
Wishlist plant of the day: variegated azalea Girard’s Variegated Gem and Silver Sword. More reading on variegated azaleas.
From Parks I ordered the following:
1. ZINNIA ZAHARA STARLIGHT ROSE (51991) Qty : 1
2. SWEET ALYSSUM PASTEL CARPET (0063) Qty : 4
3. ZINNIA RED SPIDER (2233) Qty : 1
4. ANGELONIA SERENA BLUE PELLETED SEED (51031) Qty : 1
5. COREOPSIS ROULETTE (51117) Qty : 1
6. SNAPDRAGON BRONZE DRAGON (51714) Qty : 1
7. ZINNIA PROFUSION SUNRISE MIX HYBRID (51986) Qty : 2
- Cosmic Red Cosmos
- Wizard Mix Coleus
- Woodcreek White Gomphrena
- Woodcreek Red Gomphrena
- Banana Cream Sorbet Viola
- Sorbet Delft Blue XP Viola
- Sorbet Blue Blotch XP Viola
- Summer Jewel Red Salvia
- Dreams Patriot Mix Petunia
- Montego Sunset Snapdragon
- Bride Eggplant
- Guy Lon Chinese Broccoli
I also picked up a set of 50 Jiffy 7 pellets.
Well, I also had hoped to throw in some onions in there, but it doesn’t look like we’ll have much success digging out those tree stumps any time soon.